Monday, February 9, 2009

Grandma’s Porch By Aunt CB




For any of us fortunate enough to have been familiar with this scene, no explanations are needed. That includes any of Ethel’s kids, Lil’s kids and assorted grandkids.

To others—this is a 1930's shot of the front porch of 1183 Caldwell Hill, Center Lisle, NY, home then of Kate Youngs Baker and her son Adin. Today it is home to Joyce Henderson, widow of Wendell, who was Lil’s grandson, Kate’s great grandson. Just to look at the picture evokes all kinds of memories!

The hollyhocks to the right of the steps that we made dolls with, and just behind them, on the porch, sitting on a series of wooden bench “steps” were Grandma’s plants, mostly geraniums, that she’d grown from slips begged from friends. Beautiful brilliant red ones, salmon pink, frosty pink and white. All lovingly planted and cared for in tin cans! ( I seldom saw any clay pots there.)

To the left can be seen one rocking chair, usually there were two or three and even some straight back chairs if needed. These were all in use every evening after supper dishes were done and kitchen work was suspended.. Picture a hot summer evening, dusk falling, the drone of “Katydids” in the background cut occasionally by a “click” as a moth drew too close to the porch light, small kids lined up on those steps, quietly picking at the scabs on their bare feet caused by walking on hot Macadam roads or running around in the front yard with a jam jar and cover, trying to catch fireflies—Oh, how I wish I could go back for an evening.

Neighborhood news, family items, Center Lisle Gossip, all were mulled over here. Family excursions were planned and days set aside for the “youngens” to go “help” Adin in the woodlot across the road.

Yes, there was another step to reach the porch— drive in the driveway to the left of this picture, and find an inverted gravestone base, a discard from the cemetery. That’s the one we hopped on when we came from the milk house.

And note the screen door! Always a bit ajar, every fly in Christendom met there and entered, hopefully to be glued to one of Grandma’s fly tapes. Farms with animals breed flies endlessly.

Absent from the picture is the wooden barrel to the left of the steps positioned to catch rain water, especially good for washing hair.

I’m not sure Grandma and Adin ever knew how much they gave us in those visits. A place to retreat to in our minds whenever life became too hectic, a “Quiet Place” for a lifetime. I’m sure we stirred up their lives while we were there—but I’ll never forget that porch!

Picture One:Grandma's Porch on Caldwell Rd., Center Lisle,NY
Picture Two: Grandma Baker taken March 2, 1952, her 88th birthday. She is holding a cake made by her granddaughter, Sylva Howland Emhof

7 comments:

Diana said...

I can almost hear the flys buzzin in the kitchen!

I only visited the place when it was Uncle Aidens and then of course at a Baker Reunion that I brought my folks to.

It's changed a bit hasn't it.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it ironic how most of the time we can't know how things we don't even think to think about are experienced by others, let alone by ourselves? Mom says here she doesn't think that Grandma Baker and Adin realized how much they were giving the grandkids by just letting them sit on their porch. But, Mom, when you were kids, I bet you didn't realize what you were soaking up, either.

I think back to playing with dolls at Grandma and Grandpa Taylor's, playing canasta at the Kinsella grandparents', weaving grass at Adin's, and remember that at the time they were just something to do while my parents were gabbing interminably with the other grownups. At least, I THOUGHT I was just filling time.

It's only much later that I go back to those times in my mind and realize what I was "filling" them with - memories and experiences of a time and place and people and outlook on the world that I didn't know then I would never have again. And that I would miss so much.

I wish that I could have known then to drink it in all the more deeply. But of course I wouldn't know that as a kid and wouldn't know what that means even if I had realized it.

I'm so glad we have some photographs to supplement the photographic memories in my mind. Even those photographs are multi-dimensional to those who experienced those people and places, and flat two-dimensional to those who didn't have that privilege. Telling the stories helps bring us into the photos and times that we don't have first-hand experience with, and reanimates those feelings and memories for those of us who do.

Thanks, Mom, and everyone else who has been writing on this blog - whether posting stories or comments - for bringing to life again such precious times.

I try to remember that, just as I didn't have perspective then on those times, I don't on current times either. Always a reminder to drink in even what seem like mundane experiences now, knowing that I may well feel about them later the way I feel about the memories we write about on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Wow Sue,
Your comment was so wonderfully true. I feel the same. We have always taken the kids back to NY once a year so that they could see, experience and spend time with family.
Now as young adults they share their memories of those times with us, I am very thankful we cared enough to make the trips!
Love to you and all my cousins!

Anonymous said...

Kathryn was emailing me and mentioned:

By the way, in the picture of Grandma Kate on the blogsite, look over her shoulder. You can see the barn of the farm. Her picture was taken in front of Uncle Adin's house. I probably lived next door at that time.

So-------look carefully at our pictures, you never know what gems might be in the background!

Diana said...

You know - I just looked back at this pic and remembered when we went to see Uncle Aiden and we (Dad and Jim and I) stood on a back porch or step and got to fire a 22 at tin cans on a fence.

I seem to remember (or do I) that they put 22 short in the gun cause they were afraid I would shoot the cows.

Have no idea what year that was had to be between 1960-1962 I think.

Anonymous said...

I am not trying to nit pick, but I guess I am. Diana, Uncle Adin's name was spelled 'Adin'. My Grandson Aedyn has an even different spelling. Sorry to be a pain! I just want the family to know how his name was really spelled.

Anonymous said...

I am with you kathryn. Yes, Adin [ of loving memory!] was spelled thusly. We too have a grandson with the name as a middle one, spelled Aiden, [ Chris' son , Joseph] Never seems right to me!!!
And I remember that 22 gun well as I think all my kids do. Adin entertained them all with it BUT I most enjoyed their watching him mow the front lawn [ As he opened the gate to let the cows thru!!! ] HE was a TREASURE?? CB
[ Am I the only one who has a time trying to get a comment to print? ]