Saturday, December 27, 2008

MEMORIES OF MY HERO, MY DAD by Nancy Taylor Wright




I remember my Dad as always being the guy that could fix everything (our dads are always our heroes), and I think one of my earliest memories was in Geneva in some apartment complex we lived at and we used to go with my Dad to the dump and pick out treasures (this Taylor clan knows about “treasures”) – parts of bikes that my Dad did some miraculous mechanical stuff with and made our bikes to ride around the streets on. (Boy, you sure can’t do that nowadays in today’s mountainous landfills where they grind it all up before covering it up!)

Those were the good ole days – searching for treasures in someone else’s throwaways! (Gosh, but is that why I get such a “rush” when I find someone else’s castaways alongside the road waiting to be picked up – why do you think I have a van?!)

And of course, I remember the ice cream truck that used to come through that complex and ring that bell “just for us”, and by the time we wormed a little change out of Dad for our scrumptious goody and started savoring the taste of that delight before it melted …. Mmmmm, life was good!
And I remember in Geneva, the times we went to the shop Dad worked at whenever we were in town shopping, or to pick him up after work. It’s funny how you can still smell the engine grease and all the corresponding smells in your memories, but I’m not sure I could tell you which side street that shop was on right now.

Not only was my Dad a great mechanic and fixer-upper, he could also build a house – and that house on Stark and Hecker has some memories stashed there also. Like when the basement had been dug and then rain filled it in – Bob managed to fall in and my Dad the hero had to pull Bob out by the hair and all was well, except maybe for Bob’s pride and a sore scalp! And after the house was built, the boys shared bunks in the back bedroom off the kitchen and while they would be changing into their PJs getting ready for bed – Dad would be scratching away at the back window making like a bear outside and the boys would come running out into the kitchen, scared to death. It wasn’t too long at all before the boys caught on to Dad’s tricks and that ruse didn’t work anymore.

Then we moved to the farm on Old River Road, the memories that come trickling out from there! Like taking the tractor and wagon down in the winter to break up some ice in the Erie Canal to make ice cream with, going back to the house and all sharing in cranking that thing – us kids always took turns on the front end, when the ice cream was still slush and as it hardened, that was when Dad took over. Then us kids would all fight over who was going to lick the paddle – gosh, as if ice cream in our bowl wasn’t enough, there was just something about being the one to lick that paddle clean.

We had a sugar maple tree in the front yard close to the road, and we would tap that in the winter and put some of the maple sap on fresh snow for our winter maple candy.

We had a lot of crops that I remember planting and harvesting with Dad on the tractor, like buckwheat, and maybe regular wheat, and I think we grew corn and popcorn also. And of course we planted the one sloping hill down to the artesian spring with strawberry plants, which we picked (well, actually, Mom and Dad did most of the picking because us kids were too busy fighting with each other about infringing on another’s row or some silly thing like that, and then getting time outs and smacks on our little behinds). But then we would sell it alongside our road (the road cut in between the house and apple orchard side of the road and the other side had the big barn and animals and chickens, and the crops going down to the canal) and us kids would get a share of the money for all of our “work”.

And that big barn housed an airplane fuselage at one point. That barn was also where Dad caponized a big flock of chickens one year, and I still to this day remember the smell of burning feathers – but boy, did those chickens grow big after that!

We had bees for the honey and it was a sight to remember to see Dad dressed in the protective clothing and hat with the veil, and Dad used to make it all look so easy as we would watch from a distance. But boy, that honey sure tasted good on our toast and buckwheat pancakes!

Dad had a friend, Johnny, who owned the hotel in Waterloo, and I remember many a weekend going with Dad to the hotel where we would be treated to a soda while Dad fixed something there. Dad was always fixing motors and stuff in his shop room across from the stairwell in the farmhouse. In the winter, Dad always wore a short-sleeve shirt (and sometimes a long-sleeve shirt) and a vest sweater and he was always warm enough – me, I was always standing on the floor register keeping warm while watching Dad fix things, or talking with him.

Sundays were the day Dad took over the kitchen for breakfast (regular and buckwheat pancakes, waffles, and fritters – those fritters….always a new surprise in the middle of them as Dad loved to experiment – and then Sunday night when Dad would make popcorn, cookies, fudge, and other goodies, and we had a meal of cereal, crackers, or graham crackers with milk and then all the goodies Dad had made, and we played a lot of Canasta those nights.

I remember the cider press we had to make apple cider and sure wish that I had a smaller version of one now as that cider always tasted soooo good, and it became our vinegar after it sat and fermented over the winter.

My Dad gave us a lot of memories to keep forever….he is dearly missed.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories, Nancy! I remember the strawberry field and what a miracle man Uncle Arnon was with fixing things. But I learned so much more from your story. Thank you!

Love, Sue

Anonymous said...

Nancy, thank you so much for reminding me of so many stories!!! Arn did have this "questing " mind, and the ability to match it. He was the inspiration behind most of our playhouses from childhood.{written of elsewhere] His choice of material was always to scour the dump first!!! [ Oh what a loss to todays child, the dump of today is CLEAN!]
Bakers are all collectors but Taylors are too . No wonder we always lived in such huge houses.
And for bears outside windows! He perfected that trick when Doris and I shared a front room on West St, Geneva. He would crawl out Mom's adjoining room window and scratch outside our screen. I was a real fraidy cat and would cry until Daddy would get after Arnon and make him stop!!!
I never knew about that plane until a HS classmate , who was co owner with him told me!! What a challange to fix that!!!
Until he died, Arnon was the one I went to for my geneology puzzles!! I miss him! CB

Anonymous said...

Of course, the minute I signed off I remembered more that HAD to be said!!!
Arnon was, for years, The Special man for General Electric in Syracuse, the one they depended upon for rewiring the impossible or reworking the unusual. And to Neil Maffei, Dan Maffei's grandfather, he was his right hand " Mr Fixit". To all the Howland girls he was the brother they never had. To the rest of us Taylors, he was just one of us, all a close bunch!

Diana said...

Imagine my suprise as a new bride when I needed something repaired and gave it to my husband - who looked at me with - "you want me to fix that?"

That was when I realized that not everyone was blessed with a 'fixer' for a dad. And not every man came with a garage or basement filled with nuts, bolts, connectors etc. Some actually had to go to the store to 'buy' something.

Cleaning out the basement of mom and dad's house I found a project that we did together for 7th grade music. We had to make a musical instrument - most kids brough pie plate tamborines or oatmeal box drums. I brought in a Harp. You could tune it with and allen wrench and I actually could pick out a song or two.

Couldn't figure out why the other kids were frustrated when I would come with my 'Taylor projects'.

Anonymous said...

Eve Taylor's recollection of Arnon was a visit to his place seen from the Thruway. I was amazed at his collections of stuff in the basement.

We got on the discussion of Blackberry Brandy and it was mentioned how good it was to stop diarrhea.(Can't remember who brought this up) Well, I went home with a Gallon of his homemade blackberry brandy!It lasted a long time. You know, the kind you buy is only blackberry flavored! The real thing is "oh, so good!"

Diana said...

Oh the wine - Eve you brought upt another thought - I remember that everything that he could squeeze juice out of - he made wine.
Some were better than others. The Honeywine (mead) was ok the Quince - well that was a labor of love - every year dad would go out and look at the quince tree hoping for enough fruit to try some wine - I remember great excitment when there was enough but was too young to taste it.

The largest challenge though was Elderberry. Dad always had a 'place' where he knew or heard there was a good crop. The challenge was how many times you had to go back to see if the berries were ready - if you missed it by a minute - the birds got the berries. I was so glad that we beat the birds - until Dad put me to work stripping the itty bitty berries off the branch - I would have gladly left them all out for the birds.

I remember that Bill and I drove back to MN from NY with 2 jugs of wine - we set them on the table in the kitchen and went out to eat and came back to a flood of grape wine (at least is wasn't the Blackberry) the bottle had popped it's top from the long trip.