Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Uncle Dick Lochner, by Tom Kinsella






Dick Lochner wasn’t a father to me—he was a father to his own children—but he was my uncle, and a man who populates my earliest and warmest memories, a man who sometimes watched over me and with whom I shared many enjoyable experiences. In ways, he was only a step removed from my father, and I first loved him in that role.

My earliest memories of Uncle Dick are wrapped up in the parties we held for Fall and Spring birthdays. He and Aunt Esther would bring the family to Irondequoit to celebrate one season; Dad and Mom would bring us to Spencerport the next. I remember the house in Spencerport well, especially the basement. Uncle Dick would set up the movie projector and next thing I’d know Abbot and Costello would be drinking water while under water or we’d be watching Apollo moonshots.

Uncle Dick worked at Kodak. This made sense to me in a Kodak town when my Dad worked for Xerox. One time Uncle Dick took me and some of the other kids to a movie at Kodak Park auditorium. I probably wasn’t more than eight years old. In the middle of the movie ( some Disney cartoon, I think), I got violently sick all over myself and the chair next to me. It smelled horrible! Uncle Dick just cleaned me up a bit, gathered the other kids, then got me out of the auditorium where he cleaned me up some more and took us home. He made me feel there was nothing to be ashamed about, although I still feel bad for the people sitting next to us.

Another time Uncle Dick took me and Ted (and maybe Jim) to a Scout Jamboree. We had a great time, met lots of other scouts, and laughed the night away by the fire. Half the place seemed to know Uncle Dick and that added to the fun. It was the first and only jamboree I ever attended.

Very early memories of the cottage include Uncle Dick returning from fishing trips. He always seemed to have a stringer full of fish ( which would attract the snapping turtle). I had a special bond with him when I was younger because I too liked to fish. When I was old enough, he and I would head out early in the morning and late at night. We’d fish until the sun was hot or the lake was dark. It was during one of his fishing trips that he named White Birch Bay, years before we bought the lots in that same bay. One men’s weekend he and I drove up early and got into trouble because the fishing was so good. We stayed on the lake all afternoon, forgetting to drive into town for beer. Dad and the other Uncles weren’t too excited about the “great fishing” when they found out they had no beer.

Somewhere there’s a 16 millimeter film of Uncle Dick and me fishing. We had walked down to the Church’s point with camera and poles and were throwing in our lines. He took some film of me, then I shot him working the shore. After a while he decided to let me keep fishing while he napped a bit. You’ll know the reel. He’s lying on the hill, asleep and I’m busy turning the camera sideways and upside down trying to adequately catch his napping skills.

For a few years we were also golfing buddies, but it wasn’t much fun to play a round with Uncle Dick. I’d head up to the tees and hit the long ball somewhere into the woods. He’d head up to the tees and dink it down the middle of the fairway. At the end of the round I’d have a 72 or so (not bad for 18 holes, too bad we only played 9). He’d have a 45 or 50.

Uncle Dick was also an Algonquin stalwart, attending several years and making all sorts of literary history. Amidst the beauty of the park I came to know him as a man. He was no longer my fishing buddy ( I knew better than to dip my rod in Algonquin waters—he didn’t) or the Uncle who took me off on some day trip. He was the guy in the middle of the canoe who didn’t paddle that much. He didn’t sleep well at night and had a tape player in his tent to listen to Lake Wobegone tapes. He was one of the oldsters, with Dad, Uncle Harold and Uncle Ken, who showed me how to enjoy triscuits and Balderson’s cheese under a fir tree and how to properly self-administer paddle-pain reliever. I listened to his stories around the campfire and he listened to mine. It was at Algonquin that I came to see Dick Lochner the man.

As it turns out, I’ve been blessed with an extended family of loving aunts, uncles, and cousins. Like a photo album stuffed with pictures, they’ve filled my head. Uncle Dick stands tall in my album. He’s the guy with the smile, the gravelly Lochner voice, and the great laugh.


Picture One: Uncle Dick, August 1954, 'Old Man and the Sea'
Picture Two: Uncle Dick, May 1952
Picture Three: Uncle Dick, Tom Kinsella and Ted Lochner, July 1968
Picture Four: Uncle Dick, June 1967
Picture Five: Uncle Dick, May 1969

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute, Tom! Thank you for writing it. I miss those days of Aunt Esther and Uncle Dick more than I realized at the time I would. Happy Birthday, Uncle Dick!

Love, Sue

Anonymous said...

Tombo,

Thank you!

Where else would we EVER have seen movies of Hop Along Cassidy, if not for Uncle Dick? And, is this where my brother Tim developed his love for the Three Stooges? By the time he and cousin Rick finished trying to BE the Two Stooges, both houses most likely needed major renovations!

Uncle Dick and fishing--yes, a legend.

We do miss you--Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Tom,
What wonderful memories of Dick Lochner!! I only wish I had known him longer and gotten to know him as well as you did. He certainly was a wonderful man, and it seems Rick is a lot like him. Thanks for helping me to learn more about him.

Love, Laurie

Anonymous said...

Enough about Abbot & Costello, 3 Stooges and Hopalong Cassidy movies that Uncle Dick introduced us to--the most unforgettable one was "THE BLOG!!!!!'
Uncle Jack

Anonymous said...

OH those birthday celebrations and the "beautiful" cakes that Aunt Esther and I came up with!! We were no good at decorating them! I too miss them and especially Es and Dick!! He was as honest as the day is long and as patient. A good father!!! Aunt CB
PS His camera is the reason we have so many movies of us all!!!

Anonymous said...

Dad/Jack,

While I love that you are thinking of 'the Blog', I THINK you meant the movie, 'The Blob'.

Wikipedia writes: "The Blob is a horror/science-fiction film from 1958 depicting a giant amoeba-like alien that terrorizes the small community of Downingtown, Pennsylvania. The film was Steve McQueen's debut performance.

Today, the film is recognized as one of the quintessential 1950s American sci-fi/horror films.

The film's tongue-in-cheek theme song, "Beware of the Blob" (recorded by studio group The Five Blobs), was written by a pre-stardom Burt Bacharach and Mack David and was a nationwide hit in the U.S.

So, I confess, I do not remember watching this classic, but good to know I have actually seen it!

Anonymous said...

Tom,

Thanks, This sure brings back great memories - you have a wonderful way with words.

Anonymous said...

Tom, what a sweet story, and I don't think I ever really knew he had such an impact on you! I'm proud. He was a wonderful father, and an energetic sportsman, which matched my mother's love of the outdoors as well. The birthday parties I clearly remember--no gifts over 10 cents for each kid (right, Aunt CB?). Yes we grew up with cameras in our faces. Wes and I are working on getting those films on DVD now (Chuck got them on VHS). We'll be working on this slow process over the next couple months and distribute them to all when they are done. Thanks to all of you for sharing your love of my DAD. I miss him.