Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Watermelon! By Susan Kinsella





What is it about watermelon that makes it so great for family picnics? It doesn’t have much taste, it drips all over the place, and the pits are best dealt with in riotous “pit wars.” Whatever its attraction, it’s always been a big part of Taylor-Baker gatherings.

Apparently it started early. Mom (CB) says that her Aunt Florence Doran (Grandpa Taylor’s sister) commented, when looking at family pictures with her, “Is that all you ever did? Eat watermelon?”
I remember family get-togethers at the picnic tables in Grandpa and Grandma Taylor’s backyard, and always there is Grandpa Taylor bringing out a big watermelon to split among all us cousins. After Grandpa’s funeral, the family gathered once again at the tables behind 427 W. Main Street in Waterloo. Julie and I arrived together, bearing comfort food – watermelon, naturally.

And none of it ever went to waste. All the rinds so carelessly tossed were gathered up after all these picnics and Grandma Taylor and our mothers made them into scrumptious watermelon pickles. Julie Lochner Riber writes in the Taylor family cookbook that Pat put together a couple of years ago: “I’ve never been able to get them quite as crisp as Grandma’s and my mother’s always were . . . . Even the summer of 2004, as we sat with Aunt CB enjoying a slice of watermelon, she declared we not toss the rinds. She was saving for one more batch (of watermelon pickles)!”

Picture One: Grandma and Grandpa Taylor
Picture Two: Kathy and Barb Taylor
Picture Three: The Older Cousins - Back row: Mike Maney, David Lochner; Middle row: (two I don’t recognize—can anyone help here?), Chuck Lochner, Richard Maney; Front row: Sue Kinsella, Julie Lochner
Picture Four: The Young-Uns – Back row: Pat Kinsella, Ann Taylor, Tom Kinsella; Front row: Ted Lochner, Jim Kinsella, Judy Taylor, Beth Kinsella

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these pictures--How I remember the watermelon seed spitting contests up at Otty Lake.

And, my kids love watermelon pickles as much as we do; holiday dinners are not complete without watermelon pickles. When one of Ali's friends, home with us for Thanksgiving, dismissed the pickles with a 'slimy 'eewww', Ali replied, "Good, more for me!"

Now, I just have to re-create the recipe--Julie, maybe we can all get together and try it?!

Thanks, Sue!! Will this post bring the warm weather??

Anonymous said...

I proudly pointed out my Watermelon blog posting to my son Alex, 15, and challenged him to figure out who was in the pictures. When he saw the picture of me, when I was about 2, he started laughing uproariously, pointing out - unnecessarily loudly, in my opinion, "You're eating the wrong side of the watermelon!"

Harumph! I hadn't noticed that, but I "saved face" by insisting that I was just starting on the watermelon pickles early!

Sue

Anonymous said...

I must once again tell you all how much Ruth, Arn. Esther and Doris would have loved this site!! And Mom[ Grandma Taylor] and Lilypickle too! The Taylor side was really into watermelon, we always had it for July 4th!
I have no worries about this batch of cousins in the future, you will stick together!!! Ma/Aunt CB