Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nana's First Evening-- By Nancy Taylor Wright







Well, I went over to Donnie and Sarah's for dinner last night and had plenty of "Nana Time" with this sweet little (excuse me-big) thing. He's so alert to everything (seems much older than four days old) and listens and tries to focus on what's going on around him. He does not seem to cry very much, very contented baby, when he does cry, you know it though.

One thing we noticed, notice in the one picture of Graham's changing table in his room, Donnie's going to have to protect the artwork on the wall better because of the frequent spurts on the wall while changing the diaper and leaving one exposed to the air! Sarah, her mom, and I were working at changing the diaper last night, and he was squirting water, then he would squirt the other end, making us change the pad, then had to change his clothes because now they (and us) were wet, oops and now some on the wall, and the whole time he's just watching us and trying to focus on us -- probably oblivious to what he was doing to us. We were laughing so hard!

Picture One: Donnie, Sarah, Graham, Nancy

Picture Two: Donnie and Graham

Picture Three:Donnie and Graham

Picture Four: Nancy and Graham

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What gorgeous artwork! I had no idea we had such artistic talent in the family!

That might say more about me than about the artists in our family, though. It reminds me of one time when Mom (CB) came to visit me in San Francisco. I lived a block from Golden Gate Park, which I regarded as "my front yard." So we spent a lot of time over there.

At the entrance to the park is a wonderful huge Victorian greenhouse that I love, called the Conservatory of Flowers and filled with all kinds of plants, some over 100 years old.

Mom sat on the hill in front of it and began to sketch on a small piece of paper. I think I probably wandered around taking photographs of all the flowers. When I got back and saw what she'd done, I was flabbergasted. It was a terrific drawing of the Conservatory.

"Mom," I said, "I never knew you were an artist! I know that Jim (my brother) does exquisite pencil drawings, but I've never known that he must have gotten that artistic talent from you."

Mom replied, "I was too busy all these years raising 8 kids. I never had time to draw." I think that artistic talent is so special, so I was glad that visiting me had given her time to draw, even if she had had to travel 3,000 miles to get that time.

How wonderful to see that Donnie has made a great business out of it. Who are our other artists in the family?

Anonymous said...

I'm loving the stories. Great pictures as well.

Thanks for sending me an update about what's new on the site!

Anonymous said...

aahaa!!

Thought you would sneak in a comment without me noticing!!

Thanks, Jim, for reading the blog this deeply into the page.

Love to all!