Friday, September 16, 2011

A Slice of Life At Age 88 –Autumn 1992 By Vince Youngs



The Youngs--Lida, Baby Vincent, Edwin, Bertha, Mable, Taken 1906

Vincent Edwin Youngs was the son of Edwin and Lida Youngs, so the nephew of Kate Youngs Baker. He married Hazel Simmons and they had two daughters. In 1992, at the age of 88, he taped himself and sent the audio tape to a relative out in Oregon. He and Hazel lived in Endicott, NY.

Here is a bit of his life at age 88:

“This is your Uncle Vince. It’s Sunday morning and it’s about forty degrees I guess out here. We just finished breakfast and we’re in pretty good shape for anyone as old as Hazel and I are. But, we’re doing pretty good.

Well, I went deer hunting the first day, just up above the house here. I can’t go too far –I can’t walk that far. So, I walked around awhile up in the brush and a big deer jumped out and I shot it and it rolled down the lawn and I hooked onto it with the little tractor and took it in and I didn’t have to drag it a foot. So, I got my venison. Well, that was okay.

Hazel’s in the bathroom getting dressed and I’m sitting here with my little white dog on my lap. She sits here on my lap a lot. She’s getting old –must be about thirteen, fourteen years old. She’s getting old along with the rest of us. Well, I just looked out here; I’ve got bird feeders out here and there’s about twenty or so mourning doves and blue jays. We have them all the time. I fed them about a hundred pound of feed this fall (as he laughs). It makes a lot of company for us.

I love you all and I hope that you’re all well and everything goes just fine. So, I guess I’ll sign off and send this tape to you and see if you can understand it (as he gently laughs). I hope you can. So, this is Old Vince saying goodbye and love to all of you.”

‘Old Vince’ as he called himself lived to age 91, dying five months after his Hazel.

Thank you to cousin Norma Stephens Bruscani for supplying the audio tape.

4 comments:

Pat said...

Thank you Norma, for passing on this tape of Vince!

I absolutely loved listening to his description of the deer hunt--wow--did he get lucky!

Sue Kinsella said...

How lovely to get a story from a far-flung branch of the family! Thank you!

Deb said...

Thank you for sharing this---clasic Uncle Vince. Closed my eyes and I felt right there alongside him. How he enjoyed hunting. And they so loved the little dog Mandy.
Loved and miss him and Aunt Hazel so....
(I'm descendant of his brother Jim.)

Pat said...

Mandy--Thank you, Deb.

I could not for the life of me understand what he was calling his dog, but you could hear in his voice how much he loved her.