Sunday, January 25, 2009

Arnon and ‘THE PIE’, By Diana McCarty




It is a well-known Taylor/Baker family tradition, that Arnon Taylor makes pies. Good pies. Lots of pies. He hardly ever made just ‘one’ pie. Usually making pies meant that he couldn’t decide or everyone wanted a specific kind so he would make four or five or ten pies. Lemon and Banana Cream were always much in demand at family events.

So, ever the dutiful daughter that I am, on a trip to Lexington, Kentucky I happened upon a cookbook in the Shaker Village that touted it's 'famous and renowned' Lemon Pie. I thought, "Dad has to have this book I bet he'd like the pie." (The truth here is I love Lemon Pie and was looking out for my own interest.) I shelled out the $$$ bought the book and delivered it back here to Minnesota.

We had several discussions about 'the pie' - it took two whole lemons and Dad thought it might be a little tart. I had only smelled it baking at the Shaker Village so I couldn't attest to its tartness but suggested it couldn't been famous if it was all that bad.

Much to my surprise and delight one Sunday when I stopped by the Taylor house - I found dad in the kitchen. I checked to see if my favorite Ginger Snaps were about to be produced when he said nope - it's the lemon pie. I had to leave but they were given strict instructions to call me when it was ready for quality control. I spent the rest of the afternoon thinking lemony thoughts.
The call came and I went over for the tasting. I got to cut the pie and noticed it was a little, well shall we say different. Dad mentioned that the instructions called for slicing the whole lemon (yup the rind too) into paper thin slices before you did all the other stuff - so it was chunky with lemon rind. I thought - how clever of the Shakers to use all of the lemon and not waste anything.

I sat down with a hot cup of coffee and took a big bite. What a bite. My lips puckered up so bad that they darn near turned inside out. My eyes filled with tears and my sinus passages haven't been that clear in years. Yes it was tart! Very tart and the rind was very bitter.

After a brief discussion, we decided that it might be the Shaker version of Weight Watchers - if something is that bad you don't eat much. Then we got to thinking on how much produce has changed over the years. The lemons they used were likely smaller and thinner skinned. (You know they are bigger now and need the thick bright yellow skin/rind to get to market and look pretty) With the thinner skin, when you soaked the slices, they would've gotten much softer and chewier. (Did I mention that not only was the rind tart but as tough as shoe leather)? Of course it is altogether possible that whoever typed up the recipe for the cookbook forgot a step like - peel the darn thing. In any event - there are no more Shakers and I think that now, I know why!
Oh well - all I can say is that this pie was gone as quickly as any other pie that Arnon has ever made. Just went to the garbage instead of someone's stomach.
Picture One: Carol Ann, Arnon, Diana, Maria

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Diana,

Every time I read this story, I laugh out loud picturing you sitting down with a cup of coffee and beginning to savor that great lemon flavor in the pie, until the pucker hits you smack in the taste buds--you write it so well!

Many of you may remember this story from the Taylor cookbook. We thought it was due a re-print and as such, perhaps a wider audience.

Ahh, the Taylor/Bakers and their pies!! Find your cookbook and take a look at the index--SO MANY desserts. The cookbook is mostly pickles and pies!!

Thanks again for sharing this great story!

Diana said...

Even as I type I have tears in my eyes and my lips are turned inside out - wonder what happened to that cookbook - I hope where-ever it is that someone else enjoys the pie as much as we all did.

Those last few months - when dad was failing - the lemon pie story always brought a twinkle to his eye and that knowing smile.

Anonymous said...

I did enjoy that story!! Yes, Arnon was a great cook/baker/candymaker! When we were all at home in Geneva, he was the one that always made candy! Seafoam [ haven't had it since] and all kinds and he shared! Made HUGE popcorn balls.
He also made me doll clothes on the old treadle machine and put real lace on them!Is it any wonder that we loved him so? CB

Anonymous said...

Great story, Diana! This is one of the benefits of getting older - I'm sure I read it at one time or another in the Taylor cookbook, but this time it was all new all over again.

I, too, love lemon merlngue pie. I seem not to have inherited the Taylor pie-making abilities. About the only pie I've ever attempted was a pumpkin pie from scratch that turned out grey. But Julie Riber carries on the Taylor pie tradition.

One time we were on a trip together and she proposed making a lemon pie. My mouth watered! Except that we couldn't find any lemons. No matter, she decided, she'd just substitute another citrus. So we had an orange meringue pie.

Not only that, but the only oven available was a big old-fashioned stove (Julie, did we have to burn wood in it? Can't remember) where we had to keep watching the pie because there was no telling what the temperature was. It was good but it was different!

Anonymous said...

Ohhhhh, do I love making pies. Over the years my friends here in Colorado call me "Aunt Julie" because of the pies. I remember the one you are talking about, Susan. We were in Gardnerville, CA visiting Charles's sister who lived in a cabin miles from utilities and therefore had a woodburning stove. We went for a walk and picked and picked blackberries the size of your head. The challenge was on to make a pie baked in that woodburning stove. As I recall, it came out just wonderful. BYW, lemon merangue and peach are my 2 utter favorites.

Anonymous said...

Oh, then I think I'm combining memories of two different pie adventures with Julie. But, then, any pie of Julie's is an adventure!

I think that's right, that the pie cooked in the wood-burning stove was a berry pie. But I know I've had a "citrus-substitute" orange meringue pie from Julie's creative palette as well. I was impressed with the creativity, but I still wanted the lemon!

Anonymous said...

I must add another comment!! Kathy Mills should be doing this or one of Harold's girls.
I too love lemon pie and whenever I hear this story my lip curls along with Diana's. However, Harold HATES them ! It seems that when he was in the army they had some and as he loved them he ate all he could. Whatever was the problem is unknown but All who ate them became sick and Harold was sickest of all! Thus, don't ever mention this pie to him!CB