Sunday, February 24, 2008

A First Memory of Aunt Lil by Jack Kinsella


When I heard the tape of Aunt Lil, it reminded me of the time I first met her. When your mother and I were married (Sept. 3, 1949), she came to attend and stayed at the Taylor homestead in Waterloo. We had our reception there and the day before, I went up there to cut the grass.



Just for background, a few nights before, we were out with friends and someone told this joke: A guy and his wife- let's call them Sam and Sue, had just bought a house on a very large lot and they were very proud of it. So they invited a friend-let's call him Chuck, over to visit. As they were looking at the property, Sam said the large expanse of grass was a problem as it took him six hours to cut it. Chuck immediately said, “You must be getting old Sam, I could cut it in three hours. In fact I’ll bet you $100 I can.”


Sam knew that was a lot of money to bet but he said, “You’re on!” So they each put up the money and Sam brought out a hand mower and told his friend to go to it. After about an hour of mowing, Sam could see his friend was doing so well it looked like he was going win the bet so he had to figure out some way to slow him down. His solution was to make up a large container of lemonade and lace it with Exlax.


He then walked out on the porch and yelled to Chuck. “It’s hot out there, Chuck. Take a ten minute break and come in and have a glass of lemonade.” So Chuck came to the porch, downed two quick glasses of lemonade and went right back to mowing. After two hours had gone by, Sam checked on Chuck’s progress and found that he was almost finished with the lawn. It was evident he was going to lose the bet with him. He had to slow him down somehow.


So he asked Sue to help him. He told her to put on a real slinky dress and walk out on the porch and distract Chuck. So Sue did as Sam said and pranced out onto the porch and in a very sexy voice said, “Here I come a tipping and a toeing.” Chuck took one look at her and without slowing down said, “Here I go a sh♯$$en and a mowen.”


So, as I was mowing the grass (with a hand mower, I should add), Aunt Lil was sitting on the front porch watching me mow and enjoying the sun. Just as I was making a pass near the porch, your Mom came out of the house and seeing me pushing the mower, went into a mincing walk routine and said, “Here I come, a tipping and a toeing.” I pushed the mower at a fast pace and said, “Here I go—" At that, Aunt Lil burst into a loud laugh.


I remember thinking, Aunt Lil is ancient (she wasn’t sixty yet). It can’t be she laughed because she knew the joke. No one that old hears jokes like that. Later on she told your mother she had heard the joke at her store just a few days before.


I haven’t thought about that joke in decades but last week your mother and I went to visit Uncle Harold. As we walked in his back door he came out of the kitchen to meet us. For no reason that I was conscious of I blurted out, “Here I come a tipping and a toeing.” Quick as a wink, Harold replied, “Here I go a sh#$$en and a mowen.” At that very moment I could swear I heard a soft laugh that sounded just like Aunt Lil’s.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Now see here!' Would MY Grandma know about a joke like that? Well, don't you know, She DID have that sign in the bathroom of the store and later the farm. You know the one. It had 2 hunters on it. One was crouched hidden behind a bush with his backside bare. The other one was saying "listen, did you hear a buck snort?". My Grandma was really something!
Thank you Jack! I really loved her a lot and I appreciate the reminders of what she was like.
Lots of love,
Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Funny, funny, funny.

Anonymous said...

What I wouldn't give to be able to go to the store and sit at the little table in the kitchen area and have Aunt Lil cook me 2 eggs, all glistening on top with bacon grease poured over them to cook them , some bacon and a cup of her coffee, heavily laced with evaporated milk!!! [ makes your cholesterol sit up and bark doesn't it? Aunt CB

Anonymous said...

And don't you remember the grafetti in the bathroom? "Fool's names and fools faces always appear in public places!!" CB again!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Everybody, today's March 1st and it's Pat Kinsella Herdeg's 50th birthday!

I want to wish the creator of this wonderful family blog a beautiful Happy Birthday. Many thanks to Pat, daughter of Lucille, daughter of Ethel, daughter of Kate, daughter of Diadamia - did you notice that four of those five were all born in March?

Happy Birthday, Pat!

laurelamyd said...

March 1st. Happy Birthday!
Thank you so much for all the work and time you are doing, this site is wonderful. I am enjoying reading all the memories and seeing the pictures.
Take care, your 2nd cousin,
Laurel,
(Daughter of Gladys, daughter of Lillian, daughter of Kate.)

Anonymous said...

Laurel,

Great to have you visit your cousin site!!

I remember Mom saying that you played with my brothers, Jim and Chris, when you visited Otty Lake long ago.

Since they are still wild and crazy people, I am sure that you are also!

Yes, it is good to hear stories from long ago--and to collect ANY stories that we cousins wish to share.

Finally, March is here.

Thanks, Sue, for the birthday shoutout.

As you said, may the next fifty be even better.

Love you cousins,

Pat