Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Happy St. Paddy’s Day! By Pat Kinsella Herdeg





 Cliffs of Moher

Okay, so we are a few days late. Still drinking the green beer!

Cousin Charlie Hawkes sent me an Irish joke and said he was thinking about Dad on St. Patrick’s Day and missing him.

So, here are a few pictures from Dad’s trip to Ireland in 1982 that I was lucky enough to tag along with the bunch he called 'The Traveling Angels':

 Dad and the 'Leprechaun King' at
Cliffs of Moher


Dad at Tara, with the Lia Fail, or 
Coronation Stone of Tara

 
Dad with The Traveling Angels
 and the Coffees, far flung cousins!

Driving along the Ring of Kerry

Mom and Dad in front of Kinsella’s Bar in Ferns,
Where Dermot is buried

Dermot's Grave in Ferns, Ireland--April 1982
Dad, Beth, Dan, Pat and Florence 

And Charlie’s Joke:
For my favorite Irish uncle:

Two Irishmen walked out of a bar...........


...........well, it COULD happen.
                                             -Charlie
 
Thanks, Charlie, for the memories of Dad, and the laughter as I think of him.




 

7 comments:

Tim Kinsella said...

I still have wonderful memories of the trip I took with Dad, Kristin, Uncle Bobby, and Aunt Mary to Ireland about 15 years ago. We visited the Ferguson and Kinsella family home sites and saw many of the East Coast famous historical sites. Two of my favorite anecdotes from that trip: (1) calling up a B&B to reserve a spot for the night. As I began to spell Kinsella the lady cut me off and said firmly, in a lovely Irish brogue: "you don't have to be spelling it, it's a good Irish name": and (2) Dad finally got to meet Michael Wall (sp?), the Irish historian whom he communicated with often via email and obtained lots of information on our relatives. During dinner Micheal sat next to me and after we got settled he leaned over and said (again in a wonderful accent) "so Tim, how long are you home for"? That made me cry.

Unknown said...

Great photos & stories! Someday Judy & I hope to see Ireland, too!

A St Patty's Day joke for my clan:

A Texan walks into a pub in Ireland and clears his voice to the crowd of drinkers. He says, "I hear you Irish are a bunch of hard drinkers. I'll give $500 American dollars to anybody in here who can drink 10 pints of Guinness back-to-back."

The room is quiet and no one takes up the Texan's offer. One man even leaves. Thirty minutes later the same gentleman who left shows back up and taps the Texan on the shoulder. "Is your bet still good?" asks the Irishman.

The Texan says yes and asks the bartender to line up 10 pints of Guinness. Immediately the Irishman tears into all 10 of the pint glasses drinking them all back-to-back.

The other pub patrons cheer as the Texan sits in amazement. The Texan gives the Irishman the $500 and says, "If ya don't mind me askin', where did you go for that 30 minutes you were gone?"

The Irishman replies, "Oh ... I had to go to the pub down the street to see if I could do it first."

Love to all,
Ted Lochner

Pat Herdeg said...

Thanks Tim and Ted. Love these comments!

Kathryn said...

Pat, I love memories you shared of the Ireland trip! What a fantastic event for all involved! I love how many of you were able to go. What a great family experience! I'm sure my Mom (Gladys) had CB go over it all with her when they got together afterward.
I also love the Irish jokes! Charlie's was great, but Ted's really got me! Thanks cousins!
On an unrelated note-
Happy Birthday to CB!! I know it is later this week, but I am negligent at getting a card in the mail on time. CB, I love you dearly!!

Pat Herdeg said...

Thanks, Kathryn!

Mom’s birthday is tomorrow, so I will be sure to pass along your Birthday good wishes.

Judy said...

LOVED the story, jokes and photos.
I do enjoying sharing thru our blog.
Thanks Patty. Love to all.
Judy

Chuck Lochner said...

Some people are bigger than life. Uncle Jack will always be with us.
I see a picture of him and expect to hear a story. Great photos!

At Men's weekend I used to sit in the background by the old timers. Loved to hear the stories and especially the lies.

The first Guinness I ever had put hair on my chest! I'm still shaving and cross eyed.

Chuck