Sunday, November 11, 2018

Looking To the Sky with My Dad, John Kinsella By Pat Kinsella Herdeg

John Joseph Kinsella died on Thursday night, October 25th, 2018. He had just turned 92 years old the week before and enjoyed a fun-filled birthday dinner.

The week in between his birthday and when he left us, Mom and most of us kids and grandkids spent time in the hospital with Dad, filling his room with many wonderful stories, jokes, tears, hugs and laughter; phone calls and emails kept the rest of the family connected to Dad.  Pops was surrounded by a warm circle of family and love, and he knew it.

It was a difficult week after he died, but the calling hours and the funeral Mass and then the Irish wake and burial in Waterloo were all very moving and emotional. So many of his friends and family came out one last time to celebrate his rich life so well lived.


I wanted to do something different for this blog. Here is a bit of Dad below—his ‘consolations’ or important pieces of himself:

A few years ago, Dad emailed to my sister Beth about a 15th century Irish poet who gathered his beloved objects--his consolations, to him. Then Dad questions, what would HIS consolations be?



Here is my 21st century list:

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam
 I have it in our library and still read it occasionally

Casey at the Bat
 I don’t actually have a copy but I don’t need one. I’m like the ancient Druids—I have memorized it. I will have it forever.

My brass telescope
 It gave me my most thrilling boyhood memories. Using it, I saw the four moons of Jupiter and the craters on the moon.

Stamp Album
 In addition to the album are packets of 1900 era US stamps I “rescued” from trunks in the attics of barns in my old neighborhood and a kit for making watermarks on stamps visible. 

Windup Record Player
 I spent untold pleasant hours listening to records on this player at 10 Maynard Street.

Daisy BB gun
 It taught me the pleasure of hunting and thanks to my older brother, Dick, I learned to use it with caution so as not to harm anyone with it.

Stones
 Black stone from the beach at Rathcor, Co. Louth, Ireland
 Rock from the Mississippi River near St. Louis, MO
 Rock from Petrified Forest, Arizona
 Marble from Tadlock Quarry, Ontario, Canada
 Mica from Otty Lake, Canada

My Father’s Hammer
 Special hammer with magnetic tip he used when he worked on upholstery

Baseball Glove
 Outfielder’s glove I used when I played on the Waterloo Baseball team

Green Skis
 Handmade by my Dad. Bob, Mary and I used them for several years on the fabulously high Bunker Hill near Waterloo. They became known as “The Fastest skis on Bunker Hill.”

Black Mathematics Formula Book
 Used at the Univ of Texas, it contained every formula needed for algebra, geometry, trigonometry and calculus.

Picture taken at Dermot MacMurrough’s grave in Ferns, Ireland
 Taken during the trip of “The Traveling Angels.”


Dermot's Grave in Ferns, Ireland--April 1982
Dad, Beth, Dan, Pat and Florence

 Confirmation Slip from Sage Rutty of the purchase of 2 shares of Haloid stock
 Eight years later this was sold and used to purchase the Old cottage on Otty Lake

Letter from Joseph Wilson, CEO of Xerox Corporation
 Announced he had awarded me 200 shares of stock options of Xerox stock. Money from the sale of this stock was used to put all you girls and boys through college. 


 
Pops, so many memories of you! I remember one dark summer night long ago at Otty Lake. You and I went outside and just looked up as you pointed out all the constellations we could see—the Milky Way, Cassiopeia, the Pleiades… . How I loved Orion as he stretched across the sky after that. You showed me the Little Dipper and how to find the North Star. You said to me ‘Patty, you can never be lost if you look to the stars to guide you; just look up. Find your way.’

I am feeling pretty lost right about now, Dad, but I hear you-- I will go out into the chilly night and look up to the stars. I know you will be right there with me, holding me close and pointing out the clusters and galaxies I cannot quite see yet.











11 comments:

Diana said...

what wonderful memories you be shared. He will live in everyone's heart forever. Hugs and much love to everyone!

Kathryn said...

Thanks for writing this Pat.
It is a fitting tribute to a great man.
Years ago, when I was in my mid 20s, I worked for Xerox for 6 months.
It was an hours drive each way each day, I had 2 small daughters, my in-laws (and husband) had unreal expectations of me, and so much other stuff going on.
I needed a lifeline!
I discovered the Watts lines of Xerox and found your Dad's number.
I called him a few times.
I can not remember the exact things we said, but I do know that when I desperately (and I do mean DESPERATELY) needed a family member, Jack was there for me.
He never made me feel I was an interruption or a pest.
I will always cherish that.
Your Dad was a wonderful person and will live on in our hearts.
Love and prayers to you all!!

Evelyn said...

Dear Pat. This is a beautiful and emotional tribute to your dad. A daughter has a special connection with her dad as you have shown us today. God bless you as you remember Dad with tears and laughter.

Evelyn

Tim said...

Dad, we miss you and think of you all the time

Susan Kinsella said...

Beautiful, Pat. Thank you. Alex put the picture on my cellphone screen of Dad sitting on a ledge, looking out over Half Dome and El Capitan when he and I went to Yosemite together 26 years ago. I love seeing it over and over each day. I do think he's still exploring, following those stars. He'll never be lost. And we will never lose him. Love you.

Unknown said...

Pat, CB and all the Kinsella Family, I am so sorry for your loss of Jack (and Dad). We never met, but your photos have brought him to life and he will be genuinely missed.
"Do not stand at my grave and weep,
I am not there, I do not sleep,
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints upon the snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain and,
I am the gentle summer rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush,
O, quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry,
I am not there, I did not die."

My prayers are with you all.
Hal Spencer

Pat Herdeg said...

Thank you to all! We Kinsellas so appreciate your words of caring and love.

Paul said...

For Ang and I coming from the West Coast, it was a whirlwind few days, but we wouldn't trade it for anything. It was so great to see all the family and friends and sharing stories and memories about Grandpa. We had to fly home on Friday afternoon because I was running a half marathon just outside of Joshua Tree National Park on Saturday. It was my first ever nighttime race, scheduled to start just after sunset.

I ended up doing pretty well all things considered, but one part I was really looking forward to was the nighttime aspect of it, which I had never done. It was a cloudy night, so there weren't many stars out, and you couldn't see them unless you turned your headlamp off. I did this quickly on a couple of occasions, but a lot of the roads were washed out dirt, so you couldn't do it too long or you might trip. Regardless, I did do this once or twice, and each time I was looking for the constellation Cassiopeia, which as Aunt Pat mentioned, Grandpa always talked about and showed us. Ever since I was a kid I remembered this because it was so unique compared to all the major ones everyone knew. The first time I turned off my headlamp and looked in the sky, I saw it almost immediately. Not much was visible because of the cloud cover, but that one was clear as could be. It was a really nice moment coming off of the previous 48 hours talking about and remembering Grandpa. It's also nice to know that little reminder of him will always be up there.

Pat Herdeg said...

Thank you Paul! I will print out these comments and send to Grandma!

Beth said...

Thanks so much, Pat, for this beautiful post, and for all the comments. As both you and Paul said (lovely to imagine your nighttime run, looking up, for Dad -- in both senses of the phrase) -- I have memories of the night sky and Dad. Up at the cottage near the pump, for some reason (?), looking at something rare. Not sure, but maybe the rings of Saturn were clearer that summer? At 2846, in the driveway. I think that was a meteor shower.

I happened to go by a small jewelry store last week and was pulled toward one counter that had pretty colored balls, with a ring around it, turned into earrings. As I looked more closely, I could see they were Saturn. Got those and a matching necklace and will, as Pat suggested, think of Dad and his sky storytelling, when I wear them.

Susan Kinsella said...

For the past few days I've been looking for the Grandparents journal that Mom and Dad wrote in whenever they got to see Alex. Since we live across the country, they didn't see him nearly as often as they saw the rest of their grandkids. So they would write stories about their visits so that all of us would remember them.

I didn't remember where I had put it so I asked Alex if he had it and I even asked Mom today on the phone if she might still have it. I dearly hoped it wasn't misplaced somewhere. So how happy I was when I was looking for something else in one of the bookcases tonight and there was "A Grandparent's Journal" right in front of me! What a treasure! I especially love seeing my Dad's handwriting, given how close it still is today to the sadness of his funeral events just a couple of weeks ago. So imagine my delight when I read one of his entries, in his own handwriting, when Alex was just one and a half years old. It fits right in with many of the other memories of Dad here.

This entry was from May 11, 1994, and Dad had come to San Francisco on a business trip. With Alex in his carseat, I drove in to the city to pick Dad up from his hotel and bring him back across "that big, red bridge," as Dad put it, to spend the evening at our house. We had dinner at a fancy restaurant I had always wanted to try and, as little kids tend to do, Alex didn't want me to pay attention to anyone but him. I think he probably wanted me to hold him all the time, which made it difficult for me to eat my dinner. So, when Dad had finished his, he picked Alex up and carried him around, first showing him the restaurant and then taking him outside.

Dad writes to Alex, "Do you remember the walk we took around the restaurant while your Mom was finishing up her dinner? It had just gotten dark and Venus was shining brightly overhead. I showed it to you and then when I'd say, 'Where's the star?' you'd point right to it. Good thing you are only 1-1/2 years old. If you were another year older you probably would have said, 'Grandpa, that's a planet not a star. Can't you tell the difference?'"