Friday, December 19, 2014

How We LOVE Comments and Happy Birthday Glenn Herdeg!



We’ve been having difficulties with this blog and leaving comments. Although as administrator I have turned OFF the ‘check to see if people are robots and spammers’, google has ‘helpfully’ turned it on as a security measure.

So, people like my parents who already have trouble leaving comments and seeing to do so, now have to try to see what the correct pattern of numbers and letters are before they leave a comment!

Thank you to ALL who keep trying and finally succeed in leaving comments.

SO, I thought I would go back seven years in time—to the first year of our cousins blog—and find some of our assortment of comments. Enjoy!



Sisters-- Lil and Ethel
Tom Kinsella said...
Hi Kathryn.

I'm enjoying all the commentary. Pat, Beth, and I had much fun at two or three Baker reunions jumping in the hay at Wendell's during the early 1970s. I remember thinking, "this is kind of dangerous," when exploring the loft and slipping down 8 or 10 feet between the bales and having to scale the hay to climb back out.

I too remember Aunt Lil fondly. Once Beth and I (we must have been 10 and 11) brought some catnip to show Aunt Lil who was visiting at our cottage in Canada. We just thought she'd like to see it. She certainly did. She grabbed the stalk and ate a few leaves.
Pat said...
And Tom's eyes went wide and his voice stammered as he struggled to decide if Aunt Lil was not quite all there or just going back to her farming roots: "Aunt Lil. That's catnip. And you're eating it!"
January 3, 2008 at 2:29 PM



Tom Kinsellla said...
It's true. That was my reaction. She must have been well into her 80s at that point. Now that I'm older, I find myself sampling small amounts of catnip, too. It's minty. So I think Aunt Lil was returning to her roots.
January 5, 2008 at 1:31 PM
Center Lisle Fishing
Anonymous said...
Grandma never left her farming roots. One time, when I was peeling potatoes for her, she made me peel the peelings. I left too much potato on them. She was really thrifty. When I was a teenager, she and I went grocery shopping about every week. She drove over the narrow, twisty roads between Center Lisle and Marathon at speeds close to 60 MPH. She was really something.

By the way, this site is almost like a reunion to me.
lots of love,
Kathryn
Pat said...
Well, who knows if anyone will discover that comments are still being left on this post, but Kathryn, I LOVE the image of having to peel the peelings of the potatoes! It sounds like the beginnings of a Leno joke.

As I listened to the Aunt Lil recording, it was clear that she was peeling potatoes for Ma as she reminisced. I wonder how close THOSE peelings were!

Pat
January 11, 2008 at 8:32 AM 
Sue Kinsella said...
Hey, Pat, I discovered that comments are still being left on this post. Like little gems. Such fun!
January 12, 2008 at 6:32 AM 
Anonymous said...
Well, I am here and having read all the comments I will add my 2 cents! If you really wanted to have a blast you should have been with me when I took Aunt Lil to my friend Cliff Miller’s  antique business! She would say [ sotto voice] What does he have on that pot? I would whisper. $10. She would scream, $10? I bought one of those for 10 cents!! [ never mind that was 50 years before]!! So the visit went and Cliff and I have laughed over it ever since!! He understood! CB
January 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM 
 http://www.blogger.com/img/icon_delete13.gif
As we get ready for Christmas, I also want to shout out to my honey—Glenn Arthur Herdeg—who is 55 years old today. Happy Birthday!


Glenn and his two brothers--Mark, Glenn, Paul



2 comments:

Mom/CB said...

What a good idea! To go back for old comments! Those about Auntn LIl reminded me so much of her, She was an original! With a heart of GOLD!!
And another birthday for a grand son-in-law! One who qualifies as a SON! I save odd jobs for him when he comes , he never minds!

Susan Kinsella said...

Happy Birthday, Glenn! A little late, I know, but I've been off Internet access for the past few days, celebrating Alex's birthday with him and Julia. His is the day after yours and we started celebrating several days early by going to Calistoga - hot springs, wineries, geysers, great combination.

But I was thinking of you on your birthday, Glenn, especially what a treasure you are and how cool. I hope it was a wonderful day.