Friday, June 20, 2008

Beloved Cousins, Too Soon Gone: Part Two, By Sue Kinsella




As Sue wrote last posting:

Our cousins who left too soon are with us still-carried in our stories, treasured in our hearts. We were lucky to have them even for too short a time.

And so,

Wendell Elliott Henderson

Son of Phyllis, who was daughter of Lillian Howland, daughter of Kate Baker
February 25, 1942 – May 19, 2006

Wendell was 9 years older than me, so I always thought of him as “grown up” when I was a kid. Because he was so much older, I didn’t know him well, but Kathryn Barron was close to both Wendell and his wife, Joyce. “Oh, Sue, you really lost out in not knowing him!” Kathryn tells me. “He was funny, giving, helping, just plain awesome. I sure miss him.”

Kathryn writes, “Wendell was more than a cousin to me. He was more like a big brother, as much a part of our family as I was. The summer I was about 16, I dated his hired hand, and Wendell (then in his mid-20s) started dating Joyce. We all went to County fairs and drive-in's together. Wendell was the only one with a license so he always drove. When we parked at the drive-in, he’d say "Seat change!" and he and Joyce moved to the back while Bill and I went to the front. If we tried to kiss, Wendell would bop us. Man, never double date with your 'big brother'!

“Whenever I came home to visit, a lot of the time I stayed at the farm. Wendell and I did a lot of cooking together there. He ordered me around and I did what he said. It was wonderful! He and Joyce caught me up on what was going on with people I knew. I always feel that the farm is my ‘home’ in New York. Before I left to go back to Ohio, Wendell would always pick a bunch of corn for me to take home. His love for his family was huge. He was so proud of his children and grandchildren. I will miss him forever.”

Picture One: Wendell at Baker Family Reunion, 1964
Picture Two: Wendell, 2005
Picture Three: Wendell and Harold, 2002

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wendell was the epitome of LOVE. He was full of it for all . A big grin when he saw you, a hug, he loved all relatives. He really treasured those he had and never felt he had enough!
The real light in his life was Joyce tho. She was his Queen and she completed his life. Always ready to share his knowledge about farming, he was also interested in what YOU were involved in. Miss him? I guess so!! We were blessed to know him! CB

Anonymous said...

Thanks to mom's close relationship with Wendell and Joyce, I grew up calling him "Uncle Wendell", and the only one of mom's siblings who I spent more time with was Chick (Lester Jr). We didn't get to New York until I was 10, but there were cards, phonecalls, and a lot of stories from mom, so when I finally met them, I knew that everyone at the farm was family.

The first thing about Wendell that really struck me was the way he talked. He had a wonderful sense of humor and it came out in lots of little side comments and funny names for things. Eggy-doggy for breakfast, or Dog-nuts on special occasions. Before the kitchen was remodeled, there were many times that I was told to 'take a number and step aside', only to have a full plate set in front of me at the table without any effort on my part.

Wendell always made me feel loved, and I knew that he loved all of his family with a fierce strength that he contained well in his calm, often dry and quiet manner. He listened, in the margin of time that remained after work was finished and before sleep was required. He made me laugh.

I'm so glad I had the opportunity to know him.

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of Wendell feeding the cows!

Every time I drive through Center Lisle taking Brian back to college, I think of Wendell and Joyce and the generations of Bakers who have farmed in this area.

Anonymous said...

Another comment that I am sure Wendell would approve of---
June 26 is the 119 birthday of that homespun soul of Americana, Adin L.Baker. As I salute him I can see him, hunkered down by the just cleaned "cowdrops", rolling a cigarette and preparing to compare methods of farming in his day with those of his great nephew, Wendell Henderson . They both worked the same farm. Wish we could hear them!! CB

Anonymous said...

That picture of Wendell and the cows was the LAST picture that I ever took of him. It was after breakfast on the monday after the reunion. Joyce had gone to work and Wendell and I went to the corn field. The bag in his hand is the bag of corn he just picked for me to take home. We spent the morning talking about our families and THE family(Baker-extended). Time well spent.
When my Mom was dying of ALS, there were times when Dad needed help moving her. He called Wendell. Wendell always came down to help. Ma said that he picked her up like a baby. He was so fantastic. He was always there when they needed him.
Today is his and Joyce's wedding anniversary. I love you BOTH!